Tuesday 1 October 2013

HOW WELL DO YOU KNOW YOUR COUNTRY NIGERIA? HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY NIGERIA !!!


How well do we know our beloved country? I will start by saying, if you can recite the national anthem followed by the pledge, then you know your country well. Well I can, than makes me a true citizen then. (lol)
 Below is the national anthem to refresh our memory

"Arise O Compatriots" (1978 - Present)
Arise, O compatriots,
Nigeria's call obey
To serve our Fatherland
With love and strength and faith
The labor of our heros past
Shall never be in vain
To serve with heart and might
One nation bound in freedom, peace and unity.

O God of creation
Direct our noble cause
Guide our leaders right
Help our youth the truth we know
In love and honesty to grow
And living just and true
Great lofty heights attain
To build a nation where peace 
And justice shall reign.

Guys, you will agree with me that I tried a bit. Wow, this brings back memories of those days in my secondary school on the assembly line under the hot sun of punishment from those wicked teachers. (lol), But trust me they did a good job. I can never forget THEM.  And of course followed by the pledge (I can't stop smiling), We change the line 3 of the pledge to  To serve Nigeria is not by force.( LOL)

I pledge to Nigeria my country
To be faithful, loyal and honest
To serve Nigeria with all my strength
To defend her unity
And uphold her honour and glory 
So help me God.

Nigeria is indeed a great country, but wait oh is this national anthem and pledge really us? Hmmmmmmmm. Let's think on how to make a change and try as much as possible to be what we sing and say. ( That's if we still sing it?) I think the governments can not do it alone, we all have a part to play. I believe one day, E GO BETTER.

Let's compare it to the old one. tell me which one you prefer,

"Nigeria, We Hail Thee" (1960- 1978)
Nigeria we hail thee,
Our own dear native land
Though tribe and tongue differ
In brotherhood we stand
Nigerians are all proud to serve
Our sovereign Motherland

Our flag shall be a symbol
That truth and justice reign
In peace or battle honour'd
And this we count as gain
To hand on to our children
A banner without stain

O God of all creation
Grant this one request
Help us build a nation 
Where no man is oppressed
And so with peace and plenty
Nigeria may be blessed.

 I think I prefer the present one but the pledge is wrong. Well that's my opinion. What's yours? 

Thanks for stopping by, please leave comments below.

PHOTO CREDITS: Google Search

No comments:

Post a Comment